Monday, September 15, 2008

My first days in America

Its been exactly 10 days here in the US of A and a week in my new home. I think its a good time for me to put down my initial experiences for posterity. (I have always wanted to use that phrase!)

Let me begin with the things I really like here.
Well, to begin with I really love our apartment. It felt like home within a few hours of moving in and with every passing day it is bearing a decent resemblance to actually being a home. I enjoy the excitement of setting up a new house. The budget constraint is a bummer, but that's what makes it more exciting. (I think this belief helps keep the disappointment down.) I am enjoying doing all the housework. Of course I haven't been here long enough to get sick and tired of it. The absence of a maid is sure keeping my BP in control. I feel more in control when I do things my way. (Who doesn't!) I really cherish the fact that our going out is not determined by the hour and by that I mean traffic. Oh yes, I love our car. (Aditya would be really disappointed if I don't mention our car!) The scenery around is beautiful. I guess beginning of fall is a good time to visit this place for the first time. The stores are big and well stocked. I haven't been able to explore that area much since I have been mainly involved in very functional shopping. But that looks like a very promising field! But amongst all these, the best so far has been the library. Its too good. The collection is amazing, the drive and the location is beautiful and its all free. I was so overwhelmed the first time I went there, I just didn't know what all to pick. I sure need to do some homework before I raid it the next time!
Apart from these, there are the usual ones like its so clean, quiet and everything is so organized and easy. People are friendly and law abiding. There are no power cuts. I actually feel sad when I think that these are the things that are novel and hence worth mentioning.

Now to things I do not like here.
My honeymoon period is still on, so there aren't many things I find myself passionately disliking. But I really wonder at the need to have the switches work the other way round! I just do not get the logic behind it. I am still getting used to people driving and walking (if any) on the wrong side which is actually the right side of the road. At times, I miss watching mindless Hindi movies on TV. And I am dreading all the cricket matches I am going to miss because of the stupid time difference. (Tendulkar retiring doesn't seem like a bad idea now. ) I hate all the spam calls on the home phone. (Just got one.) This might sound a bit snobbish, but whenever I go out I see a lot of Indians around and that disappoints me a lot. It kinda kills the romance of being in a 'foreign' country. Maybe I am yet to feel foreign to really appreciate this desi diaspora around.

Most of the things mentioned above are very domestic. That's because most of my time has been spent in setting up the house. I haven't yet visited any place nearby which is a record considering I have spent 2 weekends here already! But the future looks good. We have already made a lot of plans about visiting different places and people. The fact that I am not allowed to work is a little scary but I am excited about the prospect that I could finally pursue my dream of studying English and history and maybe even find my true calling. I have a lot of friends living close by and that is an assuring feeling. I feel accepted and welcome and that I believe is all that matters. I have arrived. I am home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home