Monday, March 14, 2005

The Dream Merchant

Today is Aamir Khan’s birthday and I can’t help but get nostalgic. My friends and I practically grew up watching his films. And even today, given a chance we would celebrate by watching all his movies all over again :)

He wasn’t my first love. (That “honour” belongs to another “shorty” ;)) But I liked him a lot. Never dreamed about him but never missed his movies. Not all his movies are worth watching. But being true fans of his we have endured terrible movies like “Deewana mujsa nahi”, “Awwal number”, “Parampara”, “Tum mere ho” etc etc. But movies like “Dil hai ke manta nahi”, “Jo jeeta wohi sikandar”, “Hum hai rahi pyaar ke”, “Rangeela”, “Andaaz apna apna”, “Sarfarosh” and “Dil chahta hai” make up for all the terrible movies. I have watched his “good” movies at least 10 times each. I know all the dialogues, the mannerisms by heart. And I never miss an opportunity to emulate them ;-) His characters too vary a lot. Be it the Raj in QSQT, Raja in Dil, Raghu in DHKMN, Rahul in HHRPK (I used to think he has some obsession with the letter R), Sanju in JJWS, Munna in Rangeela, Siddhu in Ghulam, Rohit in AHAT, Amar in AAA, Bhuvan in Lagaan, or Akaash in DCH, each had a totally different persona. Sanju and Munna are my all-time favorites and I still fret about his not winning the Filmfare for both the performances. He hasn’t had the best of songs; but his “Pehla Nasha” still weaves magic. Watching Aamir Khan throw his sweater up in the air and roll down the grass still gives me the feeling of falling in love all over again!

Aamir Khan is not the most popular actor today. He may not even be the best ever. But for me he is the reason and the means to go back to my school days and relive the whole magic again :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home