Friday, September 24, 2004

Dreams

Just finished reading “The Class” by Erich Segal. It’s about a class, a batch, that joins Harvard and graduates in 1948. It superbly depicts the immense pressure the students withstand, or at least attempt to withstand, in such a competitive world. So when I first read about the purported “suicide” of a student in IIML, I couldn’t help but wonder if things have changed at all since 1948! I have quite a few (proud) friends in these prestigious colleges which cannot be deemed less than the Harvard university. And I am aware of the extremely hectic life these people lead just to stay afloat. Sometimes I wonder if it’s really worth it. I mean, these people spend the best years of their lives studying day in and day out just that at the end of 2 years they get the best jobs in the country or even world. And the rest of their lives they spend in working harder to retain the job!

I have always been an “ambitionless person”. So it’s very likely I simply cannot understand the thrill that comes with fulfilling one’s ambition. I am more of a dreamer. I dream about what I want to become and what all I want to achieve. On the surface both are just the same things. But I think dreaming is more passive. I mean, something that is there at the back of your mind, but is not necessarily a part of your daily life. "A dream that will need every love you can give, everyday of your life, as long as you live". It drives your life, not your routine. Something that you look forward to doing “someday of your life”. A dream’s more subtle and hence its chances of surviving in this extremely competitive world are higher. It suffers from lesser burn out. And the beauty of it is its utter impossibility (most of the times!). And that’s why it’s a dream :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home