Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Movies, masti, magic!

Yesterday night after having a grueling session at the dentist’s I slept off rather early than usual. Never mind how much you complain of not getting enough sleep, you body cannot take more sleep than usual. And hence I was wide awake at 4 in the morning! And was extremely thirsty. After trying to avoid the efforts of getting up (and dismissing the wicked thought of waking up my husband), I had to get up and go to the kitchen for water. The first thought that struck me was Lizard! I am extremely scared of and hate lizards. But when the thirst was unbearable, I overcame my fear and went to the kitchen. Turned on the lights, drank water and turned off the lights. The minute I turned off the lights, I remembered the scene from Bhoot where Urmila follows the same sequence and there’s the ghost right behind her! Man, the thought sent shivers down my spine and covering the distance of some 5-6 feet from the kitchen to the bedroom seemed to take ages…

This is Effective Cinema! A scene from a movie which I had seen more than a year back, haunts me in the middle of a night!

I love watching movies. From the oldest black and white movies to the quite recent ones (I can’t say the latest) I have seen them all. Hindi, of course. I am choosy about English films (Quality and variety does that to you ;)) I hate movies with blood and violence. I look askance at the romantic comedies, but prefer them over action movies (and even have some favorites). But I love old classics (and even new ones like “Chicago”) and musicals. They are simply wonderful. But my staple diet is Hindi movies and the dessert being Aamir Khan movies. I have literally grown up watching his movies. We school friends (girls, obviously ;)) used to get together to watch the latest Aamir Khan movie. (During those times it was more than once in 2 years ;)) We used to watch the same movie all over again, repeating the scenes where he has looked extremely cute! Black and white movies are a hit with me and my dad. We can still watch the oldies any number of times. With college friends, it can be any damn movie! The worse the movie, the better it is for passing comments and hence more enjoyable. Unlike books, I do not associate with the characters of the movie. I think 3 hours is a little less time to analyze a person. But dialogues, yes! Saying dialogues from movies is a way of life. We few college friends used to start with the starting dialogue of “Andaz Apna Apna” and go on for hours together!

I think more than the movie itself, it’s the association with the movie that endears a movie to you. The circumstances while watching the movie decide the fate of the movie for you. “Dil Chahta Hai”, a great movie in itself, is an all time favorite because it was the first movie that we roomies in Pune had watched together. “Dil Hai ke Manta Nahi”, because it was the first movie we school friends watched together at home. “Rangeela”, the first movie we girls watched in theatre together…


It ain’t that they don’t make them anymore. It’s just that we don’t get them anymore…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home