Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Sachin

The other day I read a blog, I should say one of the many such write-ups, stating how India and Indians are giving more importance to Sachin Tendulkar than the game of Cricket. I know it’s not quite the fashion these days to say Sachin’s the greatest cricketer, but I beg to differ.

The very fact that a player has more importance, rather is given, more importance than the game itself proves the greatness of the player. The game existed before the player and would continue to exist after it. I think it’s rather silly to blame the people for liking a player more than the game. I mean, liking someone or something cannot be forced down people’s throats! Instead one should into the causes for such a thing to phenomenon to happen. I would not go into the statistics to prove the greatness of Sachin. Its for everyone to see. But it’s the way his play (it is not always just the play, but lets stick to that for the time being ;)) affects the common man. It wasn’t long before when I used to get extremely depressed when Sachin failed to score a century or a 150 or even a 200! Never mind how many runs he made, it was never sufficient. He had to play. To make my day. And I used to be an angel when he did make my day. One of my friends dreads going home from office on a day when Sachin has performed poorly because her son would be very cranky that day! This is what I mean by his greatness. I know some (rather most) people would call it madness – to be so affected by a person you haven’t even met or who doesn’t affect your daily life. But they are wrong. He affects our lives. He has the power to make or break our day. And when he does that, its not less than a billion lives he affects!

1 Comments:

At 9:16 PM, Blogger Ujwal said...

The charm sachin created by emerging into international cricket at 16, is what keeps his fan following even after producing so many ordinary performances. Everyone, including the greatest sane fan of Sachin, knows that he is not the best in the world anymore. But the charming memory of 16 yr old smacking bowlers 5-10yrs older than him for boundries and sixes is so vivid in peoples' mind that, the acceptance of his downfall is not even thought off.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home