Friday, July 01, 2005

The Green Queen beckons...

I am falling in love. Again. All the symptoms are there. The racing of the pulse, the sleepless nights, the unnecessary anxieties and ultimately the ecstasy!
Wimbledon is back!!!

In the last coupla years, I had forgotten the Wimbledon magic. When I was in school watching Wimbledon was a family tradition. All of us would forget all our chores and be glued to the TV every single evening during the tournament. Before the beginning of the tournament my dad and I would rattle off the list of all seeded players (usually only men ;)) and compare their games and predict the winner. Mine was generally (and rightfully) the same for many years!

It’s difficult for me to decide if I like cricket or tennis more. But if Wimbledon is going on, my choice would undoubtedly be Tennis (Of course if it doesn’t clash with the World Cup and thankfully it never does:)) This Grand Slam is definitely superior to the rest. Maybe it’s the history, the glamour or simply the quality and quantity of champions it has provided. It all started with Becker winning at the tender age of 17. I was hardly 5 years old then, but I still remember Boom Boom Becker! One of the reasons, I still like bananas is because Becker used to eat bananas during his matches!! Don’t remember much in between till Courier came on the scene. Though he never shone at Wimbledon, he kept my interest in tennis alive. And then arrived the King! And from 1992, it was Pete Sampras who ruled my heart (the tennis part of it, of course ;)). Though in 1992 he lost to Goran in the semis, who further lost to Agassi in the finals, his game was established. And then began the dream run from 1993 till 2000 except for the hiccup in 1996 when he lost the semis to Richard Krajicek(I still haven’t forgiven Krajicek for that). Sampras was pure magic on grass! Another person I adored at the Wimbledon was Goran. And when Sampras and Goran played against each other it was a treat to watch their serve and volley game. But at the same time it used to be verrrry tough for me to decide whom I really wanted to win!! But Goran finally won in 2001 and I couldn’t ask for more from the grass courts!

But the romance did not end there. I missed Wimbledon between 2002 and 2004 and hence did not acknowledge the rise of the new star. But this time I have seen Federer in action and though he can never be Sampras for me, he has rekindled my interest in the best Grand Slam ever. And then there are the Roddicks, the Safins, the Hewitts and also the Popps. The actors have changes but the show continues…
Long live the Queen!!


Found some interesting history at this site:
http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/about/history/history.html

1 Comments:

At 4:57 PM, Blogger Maitreyee said...

Back after a long time,huh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home