Sunday, February 10, 2008

My Heroes

I just finished reading ‘The Summer Moonshine’ by P G Wodehouse and fell in love with the character of Joe Vanringham all over again! This set me thinking about all the guys I have fallen for over the past so many years.

Here’s the list. Let’s stick to fictional characters for the time being ;)

Fitzwilliam Darcy (Pride & Prejudice):
I am yet to come across a girl who’s read Pride and Prejudice and not fallen for Darcy. He is proud and haughty. But that’s exactly what makes him so attractive! He does not exactly make me go weak in the knees, but let me just say, out of the 30 odd times I have read Pride and Prejudice, at least 10 would be for Darcy ;)

Rhett Butler (Gone With the Wind):
The stereotypical irresistible rascal! You know he is no good, but you want him to sweep you off your feet! (And Clarke Gable playing Rhett Butler in the movie did not help!!!) When you see his relation with Melanie or the way he loves Bonnie, you realize he is capable of emotions, he is vulnerable. I feel bad every time Rhett walks out on Scarlett. But some things are never meant to be…

Kabir Durrani (A Suitable Boy):
I fell in love with Kabir as soon as he walked in the book. He is charming, attractive and there is something boyish about him that you cannot resist. Let’s add to that his being a cricketer and having curly hair, and you have the perfect package :) And his being a ‘Durrani’ (you have to read the book to know what it means) doesn’t affect me one bit.

Amit Chatterjee (A Suitable Boy):
Lata had so many better options to choose from and she chose the boring Haresh! Amit is quite opposite to Kabir. He is a poet and a serious one, at that. And I am a sucker for the brooding, thinking types!

Conway (Lost Horizon):
Stoic. I think that word sums up ‘Glory’ Conway. As I have mentioned in a blog before, I read Lost Horizon during a very susceptible period of my life and the book had an impact on me. I could relate to Conway big time. The USP of Shangri-La was Conway.

Joe Vanringham (Summer Moonshine):
How can I forget the guy who started the train of thought? It was love at first dialog with Joe. Fresh, romantic, charming, funny, strong (and a writer!). He is too good to be true. Well, he IS too good to be true. Sigh.

Nanda Pradhan (Vyakti ani Walli):
I knew I was missing someone. Nanda Pradhan hit the scene same time as Conway. He is tall, good looking (something I noticed only during my 5th reading!). But that’s not what attracts you to him. There is something tragic about him. He is one guy I don’t want to meet in my real life. I think reality will kill the romance.

When I look at the list I realize, all these guys have been around for the last 10 years at least. Its time I find some new heroes!!!

1 Comments:

At 12:33 PM, Blogger KK said...

Big, big fan of Joe Vanringham too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home